Do I need help?

Like cars, everyone is different, what keeps things moving is different for each make and model; and we are just the same. Getting worried, upset or angry about things, is something that we all do; usually, with time, we find our way through these difficulties. But if instead you find that your feelings get worse, or start to get in the way of your daily life, then it might be time to pull over and get it checked out.

Sometimes just speaking to someone you trust about your problems can start to help you feel better. It could be a parent or carer, a teacher at school, your school nurse, your doctor or social worker; it can be any adult that you think will listen to you and will try to offer you support. They'll also help you to understand whether you need extra help from someone that's specially trained in helping young people with their feelings.

And that's where CAMHS may be able to help, but remember it is not an emergency service; if you need help urgently you must contact your doctor's surgery or visit the Accident & Emergency department of your local hospital. (If you are already working with CAMHS, you can contact your local centre 9am-5pm Monday to Friday; otherwise contact your doctor's surgery or A&E).

To find out more about getting help from CAMHS, visit our 'Getting help from CAMHS' page.

Here are some examples of when a young person might need help; but these are not the only reasons, and whatever your reason, you won't be alone.

I would like help because...

...of the way I am thinking and feeling

...what is happening around me

If the first person you talk to doesn't help or doesn't believe you, then it's important that you talk to someone else. If there's nobody that you feel you can talk to about your worries, you can contact

You can talk to Childline about any worry you have, they are there 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Childline's telephone number won't show up on your phone bill.