The 0-18 Wirral CAMHS team is a community based specialist service providing mental health assessments and evidence based psychological treatments for children and young people with moderate to severe mental health difficulties, which is where mental health difficulties are having a significant impact upon day to day functioning.
Our aim is to provide a service that works in partnership with families/carers, is person and family centred and is focused on the needs of the child/young person. We offer assessments and treatment based on goals identified by the family, adopting a multi-agency approach for children & young people presenting with the following concerns:
- Anxiety and depression, for example phobias, social anxiety, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), where there is a significant and enduring impact on the young person's daily life.
- Trauma. This covers both 'single event' Post-Traumatic Disorder and 'developmental trauma' where there is a significant impact on daily life.
- Emotional dysregulation with significant instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and mood and impulsive behaviour or significant self-harm.
- Eating disorders, in partnership with the Cheshire and Merseyside Adolescent Eating Disorder Service (CHEDS).
- Attachment disorder - having a significant impact on family and social functioning.
- Suspected Psychosis - Many young people have puzzling experiences (for example, voice hearing) as part of another mental health issue (e.g. anxiety) and we work with these young people, focusing on the core mental health need. However we also work with/signpost to the local Early Intervention Team where symptoms of psychosis are evident
For young people with difficulties that may be linked to Autism, ADHD, Conduct Disorder or Oppositional Defiant Disorder we only offer assessment and interventions where there are co morbid moderate to severe mental health difficulties.
We do not offer treatment or other assessments for Autism, ADHD, Conduct Disorder or Oppositional Defiant Disorder where there are no co-morbid mental health difficulties and will signpost for assessment to local pathways or support to other agencies. However, young people with Autism, ADHD, Conduct Disorder or Oppositional Defiant Disorder will be offered treatment for additional moderate/severe mental health problems.
Wirral CAMHS 0-18 Team
Birch Centre, Derby Road, Birkenhead, CH42 0LQ
Tel: 0300 303 3157 Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm